Role of a Deacon at Hope Community Church.
The biblical role of a deacon is to take care of the physical and logistical needs of the church so that the Elders can concentrate on their primary calling of “Shepherding the flock”.
This distinction is based on the pattern found in Acts 6:1–6. The apostles were devoted “to prayer and to the ministry of the word” (v. 4). Since this was their primary calling, seven men were chosen to handle more practical matters in order to allow the apostles the freedom to continue with their work.
The only passage that mentions the qualifications for deacons is 1 Timothy 3:8–13
The role of a Deacon at Hope Community Church is to serve the congregation in the following areas:
- Building & Grounds: Responsible for managing/coordinating/maintenance of the church property.
- Parking lot/lighting/signage
- Snow removal
- Coordination of building keys, opening and closing of the building.
- Caring: Coordinating with the hospitability team and support wherever applicable.
- Lead, coordinate and support those that are in desperate or critical need within the congregation (Painting, essential/minor repairs, delivering meals, taking care of our widows, sick etc.)
- Operational/Flow of Service: Distributing bulletins, seating the congregation, coordinating community activities, scheduling of building.
- Logistics-: Coordinate with the Sound, Hospitality, PowerPoint, Welcome Center and Website teams to ensure a smooth flow during family nights, Prayer, power nights, special outreach events and Sunday service.
The deacons’ role is more service-oriented. They are to care for the physical concerns of the church. By handling such matters, deacons free up the Elders to focus on shepherding the spiritual needs of the congregation.
The 2021 Deacons team: